Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Made of chiseled and carved granite, simply engraved yet bold and prominent in its location for later generations to admire, I'd like to think that the gravestone somehow matches the lifestyle and spirit of the person it commemorates - but just as likely, the person who laid the stone determined its features - in this case I assume it was his son, E.M. Zerr. So many other gravestones I saw were gaudy or audacious, but Lawrence's really fit my own aesthetic. I felt a sense of correctness about Lawrence Zerr's, an odd sense of family pride that stems probably from certain similar values that I'd like to think have been passed on down the generations. His stone was solitary, without any family members around. In fact, I only surveyed one section, but I doubt that any other family members are buried in Stewardson at all. I also felt a great sense of satisfaction in that I accomplished my goal for the day, visiting the place where my Great Great Grandpa rests. Had he not lived, I wouldn't be here at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg, I'm a cousin of your Mom and have recently been doing genealogy research on the Zerr line. When we got back from a trip to Indiana in March, I found out that Lawrence Zerr was from Stewardson and even tracked down a picture of the very gravestone! Of course when I looked at a map, I realized that we had driven within 10 to 15 miles of Stewardson on our way! So we are definitely going to go back! Lawrence's father, Michael came to the U. S. in 1853 through New Orleans with 6 children one child was born on board the ship. The mother and baby died in New Orleans of yellow fever. Michael went to Vincennes, IN and died there after remarrying. I have yet to find any info on his death and where he is buried. Thanks for your great blog. I hope to visit Stewardson for sure! ...Paul

    ReplyDelete